§ Nationality: Greek
§ Date of Birth: 27/04/1974
§ Place of Birth: Larissa, Greece
||Greek – Member of the EU
- 1993: Graduation from my country’s high school with the grade: excellent.
- 1994 – 2001: Medicine School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, GREECE.
- 2001: Graduation from Medical School (MD degree) with the grade: very well.
- 2001-2003: Postgraduate studies Program of Medicine (Master’s Degree) by the Medical School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Program’s main topics: Research methodology and implementation of new technologies in the medical profession. Graduation with grade: very well.
- 2005-2011: PhD Candidate in Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece with main topic of research: Non linear analysis of respiration in Sleep Apnea Syndromes.
- 2011: Specialization in Pulmonology
- · Proficiency Certificate in English, University of Michigan
- · Proficiency Certificate in English, University of Cambridge
- · Attendance of various conferences held in Greece, concerning a number of medical fields, like: Pulmonary Medicine, Microbiology-AIDS treatment, Orthopaedics, Urology, Pathology, Psychiatry, Oncology, gastroenterology and medical students meetings
- · 10-12 October 1997, Thessaloniki, Greece: Member of the organising committee of the first meeting of the Greek Aerospace Medical Association, with international participation.
- · 20-26 May 2000, Santorini, Greece: Attendance of the 13thCongress of the International Academy of Astronautics.
- · 24-26 May 2001,Halkidiki,Greece: 6th International Symposium On Health Information Management Research.
- · 4-6 October 2001, Athens, Greece: Attendance of a Panhellenic conference of Air and Space Medicine and presentation of my paper: Deep Venous Thrombosis after Air Travel – a Review of the Modern Views about the Subject.
- · 2-5 December 2004, Patra, Greece: 13th Panhellenic Conference of Pulmonary Medicine.
- 10-13 April 2005, Thessaloniki, Greece: 3rd Scientific conference of Medical School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Presentation of my paper: Study of normal human respiration with the complexity theory.
|Scientific projects –
- · Numerous projects, including reviews on hypertension and treatment, Deep Venous Thrombosis and Myelofibrosis.
- · May 1999: AMSRO (Aerospace Medical Students & Residents Association) Scientific Paper Award for my project: Dose Dependent Effects of Caffeine on Cognitive performance, Cardiopulmonary System and Catecholamines, presented in the annual ASMA (Aerospace Medical Association) conference. The project included evaluation of 16 volunteers’ cognitive performance with a special flight simulator.
- · October 2001: Deep Venous Thrombosis after Air Travel – a Review of the Modern Views about the Subject.
- · November 2003: Study of the respiratory rhythm with the complexity theory (Master Thesis).
- · February 2005: Commencing of my PhD Thesis with main topic of research: Non linear analysis of the respiratory signal in Sleep Apnea Syndromes. Attainment of a scholarship from theGreek State Scholarships Foundation for the completion of this project.
September 2009: Selected in the fourth stage of the European Space Agency Astronaut Selection Process, in which 45 out of the initial 10000 participants proceeded.
November 2008: Commendation by the Hellenic Respiratory Society for the poster: “Ergospirometric findings in patients with scleroderma in relation to pulmonary hypertension”, 17th National Conference of Respiratory Medicine, Alexandroupolis, Greece.
November 2009: Commendation by the Hellenic Respiratory Society for the announcement: “Prediction of Apnea-hypopnea Index in patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea-Hypopnea Syndrome with a linear regression model based on nonlinear analysis of respiratory biosignals during sleep”, 18th National Conference of Respiratory Medicine, Thessaloniki, Greece.
|Interests and activities -Hobbies
- · I am fond of general aviation and I am a member of Thessaloniki Aeroclub. I have accumulated a flight experience of 190 hours.
- · I am also keen on music composition and performance and I am a member of a local music band.
- · I have had the offshore sailing certificate since December 2003 as well as the PADI diving certificate since 2008.
- · I write poems and my first poems collection titled: «Elements Collection from a Spring» (Blurb Editions) has already been published.
- · Finally, I am interested in Space flights and technology, as well as human physiology and effects of long-term flights on the human body.
- · 1995 – 2001: English language teacher for adults
- · 2001 – 2003: Serving as a General Doctor in Archangelos of Pella, Greece.
- · Summer 2003: Doctor at a children’s camp in southern Greece
- · 2004: Served as a Military Doctor during my compulsory 9-month service period for the Greek Army in various military units.
- 2005: Doctor at the Kaimaktsalan Ski Resort in northern Greece.
|Professional and other memberships
- · Member of ASMA since 1998.
- · Member of AMSRO since 1999.
- · Member of the Greek Aerospace Medical Association and Space Research since 1997.
- · Member of IAOPA since 2001.
- · Member of the Medical Council of Thessaloniki, Greece since 2001.
- · Full Member of the General Medical Council of the UK since 2005.
- Driving License since May 1993.
- Private Pilot License (PPL) since May 1999.
- Offshore sailing certificate since December 2003.
- Open Water Diving Certificate since August 2008.